Tuesday 16 September 2008

Preview: FC Dynamo Kyiv vs Arsenal

So Wednesday night's match will see us taking on the Ukrainian side Dynamo Kyiv. Our record against former Soviet states in the Champions League is frankly dreadful. We've never won in six matches against eastern European opposition, but that's a record we'll all be hoping will be broken tomorrow night.

In team news ahead of the match tomorrow night, it looks like Eboue and Clichy will have both recovered in time to face Dynamo Kyiv. According to Arsenal.com, the two wide players who both picked up knocks at the weekend have travelled with the squad to Ukraine and one would expect them to start.

I was really worried about losing Clichy as we don't really have a replacement for him until Slivestre gets fit, which he has not done in time for the match tomorrow. Hopefully Clichy will be fit enough to start. And as for Eboue, normally I couldn't care less whether or not he gets to play, but with the injury situation such as it is, with both Nasri and Rosicky out (the latter with no current prospect of returning), Eboue is a player we need to stay fit.

Of course, there is the possibility that Carlos Vela could play wide midfield opposite Theo Walcott, but with Arsene Wenger seeing him as mainly a centre forward Eboue will likely get the nod.

As for tomorrow I'm predicting that we will win comfortably. In the back of my mind I can see that maybe we might struggle, just because of the hostile atmosphere and our record against eastern European sides, but logic tells me that we will win comfortably.

I think 2-0 is a fair prediction; it won't be an easy match but I think with our current form at the moment (11 goals in the last three games) we will be able to snatch victory. I wouldn't be happy with a draw mainly because it wouldn't signal our intentions in the competition very strongly, and that is something I think Arsene Wenger wants very much to do. If we can get a good solid result in Kiev tomorrow night, we will have established ourselves as contenders, and the other teams in our group might just get a bit more nervous about facing us, which is always a good thing.

So I hope we can get a win tomorrow. I think with our current run of form we should be able to get a victory with little problem, but we will have to work for it. Once again, I predict 2-0 but I'm hoping for more. Until then,

Fab 4

1 comment:

Post your comments here...