Thursday 4 September 2008

News Roundup: Managerial Casualty no. 2

In this first "news roundup" article I will look at today's significant news and weigh in on them. This News Roundup feature will happen once every few days at the end of the day in which I present and discuss significant news surrounding Arsenal. Now, I don't have time to review every news piece, but I'll pick a few and check them out.

First up, Kevin Keegan has resigned as manager of Newcastle. This doesn't really have anything to do with Arsenal, but I thought it was noteworthy. I will miss Keegan. The last four times we've faced his Newcastle sides, we've won by 3-0 on every occasion. I was looking forward to keeping that record alive, but alas, the world must move on.

Next, it looks like Arsenal's search for a new Chief Exec is almost over. In this article on Arsenal.com Arsene Wenger says that "we are getting to the end of the story". A new Chief Exec will mean less responsibility on the boss's shoulders which will allow him more time to grow the team. Arsene himself said this summer that one of the reasons he didn't sign more players is because he was so busy. Hopefully this will cure that problem.

Finally, it looks like we're being linked with the free agent Stephen Appiah. Appiah left Fenerbache earlier this summer following a row with club officials, and now he says it would be his "dream" to play for Arsenal. I personally think this would be a great piece of business. He's cheap (free even!), experienced, a good player, and he's be perfect for partnering Cesc in the centre of the park. Of course maybe I'm just saying this because I'm disappointed we didn't get Alonso (which we did try to do), but Appiah would be a help to the team. And plus, if he flops, we can always sell him and make a large profit. Win-win then, eh?

Well ,that's all for today. Coming up of course is the review of our midfield, and you can look forward to that in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. " I'm disappointed we didn't get Alonso (which we did try to do), but Appiah would be a help to the team." And from your last post " A midfield review is coming up later, and it may be split into two parts". Don't you see the contradiction here. We have so many midfielders that you have to split the review, but you are disappointed we don't have more!

    We have too many midfielders. Between my first choice RvP, Cesc, Sami, Rocky (with Eddie & Ade up front) and the CC midfield Wilshire, Ramsey, Randall, Merdira (any of whom could play surrounded by 10 first teamers) we have Walcott, Vela, Eboue, Denilson, Diaby & Song.

    How coulds the addition of Alonso or Appiah do anything other than sow discontent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, cape gooner, there was no contradiction at all. I don't think we need a new DM just to add bodies in midfield. I agree with you that we have plety of people in there, but what I don't necessarily agree with is that we have the RIGHT people in there.

    I wouldn't mind sending Ramsey of Wilshire on loan if it meant we could get a new, experienced player in there. What we need though, is someone who will be able to play the Arsenal way.

    That's why I wanted Alonso so much. If he can play well with Spain, who also use the passing style, then he may probably fit in well with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here...