Saturday 18 April 2009

Fabianski and Bad Tactics Cost Us the FA Cup

I have to start by saying I am gutted, absolutely gutted. Our first real loss of 2009, and it comes to Chelski in the the FA Cup semifinal. We worked so hard to get to this stage of the competition, to get to Wembley for the first time, and then once there we threw it all away. And there are two major reasons why it happened.

First was Fabianski. I'm a big fan of the lad, and he's been doing well so far, but this was his first major game as a starting keeper; the biggest game thus far in his career. And he bottled it. The day started with a ridiculous attempted clearance from a Drogba chance that missed and Gibbs had to save our butts. Then he was caught at his near post for Chelsea's equaliser, and finally his major blunder that led to the second goal.

Why in the world did he come out like that to clear the Drogba chance? Yes, he was going to be in one-on-one, and he had beat the defenders, but why come out and make such a ridiculous challenge on Drogba only to miss the ball completely and let him stroke it into and empty net? It's utter stupidity, and I know the lad will be feeling it all the way home. He literally cost us the game, but to be fair he wasn't the only reason we lost.

When I saw the team sheets before the game I could hardly believe that both Arshavin and Nasri had been left on the bench with Diaby playing instead? What in the world was Arsene Wenger thinking? And then when it was clearly not working at halftime and Chelsea were controlling the game, the Boss still made no changes. In fact, not until about the 70th minute were any subs put on, and then who does he take off for Arshavin? Van Persie!

And then shortly after that Adebayor is taken off for Bendtner. Not until we're down 2-1 and there are five minutes left does Wenger throw on Nasri; what is the lad supposed to do in five minutes?!? It was frankly shocking, and I don't know what in the world was going through Arsene Wenger's head, nor do I want to: it was just plain bad strategy. It seemed to me like he was throwing the game and conceding defeat. And that is unacceptable.

Maybe Arsene really does want the Champions League more, and if that's true then he's got his wish. We are now out of the FA Cup, and with it, in my opinion, our best chance for silverware. Now all we have to fight for is the UCL, and that's a much more difficult proposition indeed.

I am gutted, and I should stop before I get to far ahead of myself. But it was truly a disappointing performance, riddled with mistakes, and full of bad tactics. I can only hope Arsene Wenger tries a little harder against Liverpool on Tuesday, because two huge losses in a row will, I believe, take the heart and momentum right out of the team and kill off our season. Here's hoping for the best; I'll be off to calm down from this loss.

Fab 4

1 comment:

  1. I could see why Wenger started with Diaby (height and strength advantage) but to put him with Denilson just didn't work at all. How could he not start with Song after his recent performances. Did he expect stellar stuff from Denilson who is clearly tired because he has played so often now and Diaby who is not still match fit?

    I can't blame Fabianski and he will be the focus of my review part II of the chelsea game. For now I have just focused on Arshavin and Song! I think Nasri on bench was okay btw, the 4-2-3-1 simply doesn't work with him and Fabregas in the side.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here...