Tuesday 10 February 2009

Tottenham and Eduardo...

It's been a few weeks but I'm finally back to blogging. It's been a pretty busy time lately for me, but my nagging love for Arsenal that made me start this blog in the first place came back again to make me set aside some time today to talk about the club I love.

It's been a turbulent last week or so since the 0-0 draw to West Ham. It was a game in which I saw, for the first time in a very long while, our old flair and lovely passing. It only lasted about 20 minutes, and it unfortunately didn't lead to a goal, but the fact was it was there. This is, I believe, a very promising sign of things to come. If we can be flowing without Fabregas, Walcott, Rosicky, or Eduardo, then how well will we play when they return?

Then the transfer window slammed shut and barely making it inside in in time was Andrey Arshavin. This man may be the first big-name signing Arsene Wenger has made in years and years, if ever at Arsenal. It's truly something to get us all excited, but tagging him as the saviour of our season is dangerous and unnecessary. The lad hasn't played competitive football for months now, so how can he be expected to come right in in great form? He can't, and he won't, and we need to be patient with him, and it is then that we will see the best results.

Then there was the North London derby Sunday. After seeing Aston Villa get every call their way en route to a victory against Blackburn, and Chelsea slip up at home against Hull and subsequently sack their manager, I and everyone else realised the derby would be huge. We simply had to win.

But then a certain man named Eboue had to go and ruin our chances of doing so in quite possibly the worst case of indiscipline from an Arsenal player in quite some time. We were on the back foot for the rest of the match, and though we defended well, I don't share the views of so many other gooners about the draw. I consider it two points lost, and two less points in the race for fourth place (which now seems to be three-way between us, Villa, and now Chelsea).

But there was one positive from the game, one thing that happened, actually before the game began, which had me jumping with joy. Eduardo, for the first time in almost a year, was named on the substitutes bench. This was truly a spectacular moment, and one which I am surprised has not been mentioned by more gooners out there.

Yes it was only a bench appearance, and he hasn't actually returned yet, but the mere fact that his name once again appeared on a team sheet was fantastic news. I cannot wait for the day that Eduardo finally makes his return, and if I know Arsene Wenger he'll put him on at the Emirates Stadium. I'm hoping (and judging by the fact that he was called up for Croatia, thinking it's somewhat likely) that he will return against Cardiff in the F.A. Cup.

And when he does, he will I hope, be greeted with a cheer to rival that of a goal being scored. He will be where I am, and I'm hoping those at the Emirates that day will oblige me and acknowledge the fact that we once again have our most lethal goalscorer back among our ranks.

Don't forget, you can get all the Fab 4 Arsenal news and views sent direct to your mobile phone for free, please Click Here for details on how to try out this great service! Until next time,
Fab 4

1 comment:

  1. To sum it up from my side, I agree with almost everything you said in this blog post! Infact I have touched upon similar issues in my latest post. you only have to consider various other factors i mentioned to see this.

    About Eboue, I think he was stupid to get sent off like he did..he cannot even say he try to get the ball..i feel that someone from the arsenal team should have gone up to him and maybe given a clip around the ear when he got his first yellow card to warn him. I don't think anybody did. also the game was played at such a pace I don't think there was the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments here...