Tuesday 18 November 2008

Is Arsene Crazy?

Just a small thought today that has been on my mind the last few days. Even though I said Sunday that I believed Arsene Wenger realised what the problem was in our team and was taking steps to fix it, a quote of his after the game just baffled me. Here it is:

"Not really [I don't regret not bringing in a player over the summer], we had no player we really wanted and for now we have no regrets.
"You cannot explain the own goal of Gael Clichy by the fact we haven’t got an experienced player in midfield.
"I think we were not, as a team, sharp enough to dictate the pace and be dominant in the fight [against Aston Villa]."

If he's serious about not wanting any particular player then he's either downright lying or he hasn't got a clue. This would rubbish all reports of him trying to sign a central midfielder over the summer and would make all those quoted saying he was liars.

I just wonder if maybe Le Boss has lost his drive after so many years in management. He is so determined to make his goal of winning a trophy with such a young team a reality that I think he may be forgetting that we need to also have a strong traditional team blended in with the young one.

I'm the last person you'll find disagreeing with Arsene Wenger's youth philosophy, I think it's brilliant, and it's become my personal philosophy whenever I build a football side myself in my limited manner. But I also realise that sometimes I need to strengthen a certain position or bring in a bit more experience to make the team work, and Arsene doesn't seem to want to do that.

There are signs (such as signing Silvestre) that Wenger knows some more experience is necessary in the team and he is moving to add some more. But doesn't he also see the need to get a new midfielder? Think about it: with the replacement of Flamini in midfield this January, we will have the same team as last year, except we will have traded an obsessive-dribbling Hleb for a dribbling and shooting Nasri. We'll be better off than last year; all we need is a new defensive midfielder.

I sincerely hope Arsene Wenger hasn't lost the plot, and I refuse to believe he has, but with comments such as those above, I begin to wonder. It's international week so you can expect one or two more opinion articles this week before the Man City game this weekend. So until next time,

Fab 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here...